As NYC movers, people ask us all the time what kind of moving supplies they are going to need to prepare for their big move. In fact, we’ve been asked so often that we’ve compiled a list:
- Packing Tape — You will need plenty of heavy-duty tape to seal boxes. It’s also handy for general household use, so it’s a good idea to stock up early!
- Tape Gun — This handy tool can save you a lot of time. It’s also a helpful way to make sure you don’t lose the end of the tape roll and have to spend wasteful minutes trying to unpeel it!
- Wrapping Paper — A lot of homeowners will wrap their dishes and other items in newspapers. That’s fine as long as you are willing to spend a few hours on the back end cleaning off the ink that can be transferred to our hands and possessions. Plain brown wrapping paper is a better alternative. Not only is it inexpensive, but it’s effective at keeping items clean and cushioned during the move
- Boxes — There are many different sizes and shapes of boxes. You can either buy new professional-quality boxes or utilize used boxes. In reality, it doesn’t which type you use as long as they are clean, sturdy and the right size for whatever goes in them.
- Cardboard — Extra cardboard is helpful for putting between items to provide additional padding. It also is good for protecting wood floor from being scratched up by furniture. It’s always a good idea to have some old, leftover boxes laying around for this purpose.
- Markers — Unless you want to have to rip open every box to see what’s inside, it’s a good idea to have a couple of heavy duty markers so you can mark your boxes’ contents on the outside.
- Trash Bags — You will need these for garbage, but also for providing a waterproof barrier to items you want to keep clean and dry.