One of the worst parts about moving is all the lifting. Heavy boxes, furniture, appliances and other heavy items pose a real risk to your health, especially your back.
If you don’t lift heavy objects properly, you can seriously injure yourself. And back injuries tend to stick around the longest and be the most painful than any other type of injury.
New Jersey Movers — Proper Lifting Techniques
The best way to protect yourself against a back injury is to always follow proper lifting techniques:
- Never lift anything that is too heavy for you to lift alone. Don’t take chances. If you think something is too heavy for you, it probably is. Get help from somebody else.
- Always keep a wide base of support. When lifting heavy objects, make sure your feet are shoulder-width apart. It’s a good idea to keep one foot slightly ahead of the other, almost in a karate stance.
- When lifting, squat down and lift with your legs rather than your back. If necessary, put one knee to the floor and the other knee in front of you. Bend at a right angle, half kneeling, when lifting.
- Maintain your posture while lifting. Look straight ahead and keep your back rigidly straight with your chest out and shoulders back. Maintaining this posture will keep your back straight while keeping the essential slight arch in your lower back.
- Lift slowly. There’s no hurry.
- Don’t twist as you lift as this puts too much pressure on the other muscles in your back and abdomen. Use your strongest muscles — your legs and butt muscles — to carry the load.
It’s also a good idea to keep the load as close to your body as possible, level with your navel.
New Jersey Movers — A Better Lifting Plan
A better idea is to simply leave all the heavy lifting to Fastway Moving. Our skilled movers have the equipment, knowledge, and experience to lift and move your belongings safely.
You can’t hurt your back if you don’t lift anything heavy. Play it smart: Leave all the heavy lifting to us.